Fall, with its joys of cozy sweaters, pumpkin spice lattes and warm evenings by the fireplace, will be here before we know it. As we get ready to say goodbye to another hot Kansas City summer, we’re sharing our ultimate checklist every homeowner can tackle—prepping your HVAC system for those cool autumn nights to come.
Comfortable with DIY HVAC Maintenance? Tasks You Can Manage:
- Thermostat Test: Start with checking its operations. An upgrade to a programmable thermostat can bring both comfort and cost savings.
- Air Filter Change: After summer’s continuous use, filters are usually quite dirty. Replacing them ensures your system operates at peak efficiency.
- Outdoor Unit Clean-up: Summer can litter these with debris, and leaves falling from trees soon will only make the problem worse. Remove debris and leaves from around the unit. Maintain two feet of clearance around the air conditioner, ensuring it’s clear of obstructions.
- Windows and Doors Seal Check: Stop chilly drafts before they start by checking and reinforcing seals around windows and doors. Apply caulk or weatherstripping as necessary to areas with old or no protection.
- Indoor Vents Inspection: Vents should be open, clean and uncovered by obstructions like furniture.
More Home Care Tips That Might Warrant a Call to Our HVAC Technicians:
- Humidifier and Dehumidifier Check: With autumn’s fluctuating humidity, make sure the humidifier or dehumidifier works perfectly, ensuring the right level of moisture in your home.
- Listen for Any Strange Noises: When you switch from using the air conditioner to the furnace, keep an ear out for unusual sounds from your system. Contact us if you hear any knocks, pings, hisses, etc. because it could indicate a bigger problem.
- Odor Monitoring: You’re probably familiar with the first-time-you-turn-on-the-furnace smell, but persistent unusual odors after the heating system turns on can be a sign your HVAC needs service or repair.
- Gutters and Downspouts Maintenance: An overlooked task but essential. Keep them clear of debris to prevent water damage, preserving indoor air quality.
- Thermostat Programming: As routines change with seasons, adjust your thermostat settings to optimize energy use.
Learn more about the benefits of programmable thermostats.
Fall Home and HVAC Maintenance Tasks to Leave to Envirotech Heating & Cooling’s Professionals
- Detailed HVAC System Inspection: A comprehensive system checkup can identify and address potential issues before they cause discomfort or turn into major problems. Check out our maintenance agreement to put service and inspection on autopilot.
- Duct Deep Cleaning: Dust, allergens and mold can accumulate in ductwork over time. A professional cleaning is recommended for the healthiest air quality.
- Refrigerant Level Evaluation: Especially crucial for homes with heat pumps to ensure efficiency and longevity.
- Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide Detector Testing: Fireplace and furnace use in the fall and winter means testing your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to keep you, your family and home safe.
Wrapping It Up, Like in a Warm, Cozy Hoodie
A cozy fall evening can quickly turn annoying if your HVAC system isn’t ready for cooler weather. Your system works hard over the summer, and a little TLC can go a long way in ensuring comfort throughout fall and winter. While DIYers can tackle many tasks, never hesitate to call our experts for more complex jobs.
Envirotech Heating & Cooling in Shawnee, KS is always here and ready to help. So, whether you’re a DIY type or prefer our experts handle it all for you, this checklist will help ensure you can sip that pumpkin spice latte in perfect comfort. Schedule service or get a free estimate today.